Saturday 25 June 2011

Hidden layers

Once a month I attend the Sheffield Aspergers Parents Action Group meetings. I listen to the experiences of various people and listen to the feedback within the group. I also update them on my progress within my work. To help with my campaign ideas I started to do some rather crude experiments to demonstrate the hidden feelings that the parents and carers had and also the hidden life they lead behind closed doors.

I initially began playing with the idea of hidden layers to represent a hidden story. My first starting point was a blank page. A blank page gives nothing away at a first glance. This is how I interpreted the parents and carers within the support group. The more you listened the more layers of experience and emotion you were presented with.

 


 
I then started to consider how when you talk to people you peel back the layers of experience and emotion that they have. I then started experimenting with the term 'peeling' by using masking tape. The visuals show how the phrase 'Everything is great!' can turn into something far more comprehensive.



 
I then began to look at the idea that every parent and carer is carrying around a box of concerns that is kept locked away from the world.




No comments:

Post a Comment